Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Yesterday Mom told me about a 600 pound dolphin that jumped into someone's boat (a lot of sea animals are dying lately for no apparent reason, so the dolphin seemed to be saying, "Get me out of here!" I reminded me of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy). Then before bed I was reading the ordinances in Exodus. When I fell asleep I had a dream in which I knew a talking dolphin, and he disobeyed an ordinance. Because of this he had to die. I haven't had a crazy dream like that in a while.

Yesterday morning, as I was waking up, I was talking to God about praying for people. I had heard that it was important that we ask God for people in our prayers. If the devil asked God for Job to be sifted like wheat and God let him, how much more will God say yes to us when we ask for people?

So as we were talking about this, God said, "Would you be willing to fast for some of these people? You won't need to fast for everyone, but I will tell you who needs it and who doesn't." I could feel the seriousness of God's question. I asked, "What changes would I have to make to my diet so I could fast wisely?" God answered, "You shouldn't bake a big pan of brownies right before you fast, and you would have to stop drinking soda." Ugh, two of my favorite things.

I went downstairs to talk to Mom about fasting to see what she knew. I told her that I felt like I should always be ready to fast when God tells me, and asked what needed to change. She confirmed what God has told me. "You should probably stop eating fine sugar and drinking caffeinated drinks. It makes you feel sick sometimes when you fast because your body is detoxing and it purges all of the sugar and caffeine."

She gave me a couple of her books on fasting to look through, so I'm gonna study up!


A brother-sister duo from Australia. These two are helping me develop a taste for folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment