Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Respect the clothes.

Ever since I watched The King's Speech, I have begun to greatly admire modest dressing in women. Modesty is something that I always deemed important before, but when I saw that movie, I suddenly began to understand how differently one's clothing can make everyone treat them.

Queen Elizabeth's clothes were so classy, beautiful, and commanding of respect. I knew before that clothes told something about one's self, but I never realized how clothes can also speak of how one views one's self. It was almost distracting me from the actual movie, because Helena Bonham Carter kept stealing the show, lol.

I also just finished watching Melrose Place (I didn't actually finish the entire show. It is seven seasons long, and I didn't even make it through the first season. My two favorite characters started dating, and I decided that there was NO WAY I was going to put myself through six more seasons of torture, watching them break-up and then get back together again and again and again. So I stopped the show there, deciding that that was how I would like to remember it ending.). The show was filmed in the 90s, and I was once again almost distracted by the clothes. The women dressed pretty classy and modest in the 90s, and I was again impressed by how much it encouraged a different response to them in my mind. The shoulder pads didn't even bother me.

It made me want to take a different look at my wardrobe, and examine how I dress and what level of respect my clothes command. Not that I'm going to march around with ankle-length skirts and shoulder pads, but I'm gonna shop with all of this in mind from now on. I was looking through a store today while checking on a job that I interviewed for (they still haven't decided), and was pleased by how there really ARE a lot of classy clothes out there.

Anyway, I need to get back to bed. I slept for 3 hours, then woke up wide awake. Time to crawl back between the sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment