Friday, April 1, 2011

Cooking.

This may look bad to mention it, but I'm not groaning or complaining. I'm merely stating that...fasting has given me a HUGE appreciation for food. REAL food. Not burgers and fries, not lemon cakes with chocolate frosting, but real and wholesome food.

I was planning what I was going to eat when I came off a fast that was my longest. I decided that a cake would be an excellent way to celebrate. As I googled cake recipes and scrolled through website after website of pictures of sugary goodness I realized something. I was feeling sick just looking at the pictures. I suddenly did not want a yummy cake with thick chocolate icing, I wanted to cook!

This is when my dad starts laughing as he is reading, I am sure.

I don't cook. I make an omelet here and there, but I don't cook. I bake.

Until now. Tonight I plan to cook an Indian curry stew. I have never made a stew. I have never attempted anything that had any resemblance to an Indian dish. Wanting to know the reasons behind my sudden craving for wholesome and healthy foods, I examined myself closely. Here is what I discovered.

My brain is working incredibly fast with a new clarity.
I feel sharp and focused.
I have an unusual amount of energy.
My mood is staying surprisingly level.
I suddenly don't wish to watch a show or movie for the purpose of "zoning out" (I do, however, enjoy the occasional show and movie. But I don't feel pulled to it like I did before).

I am almost positive that all of this is linked to my sugar intake, and I don't want to lose this feeling as long as it is up to me.

Not to say that I am swearing off sweets or sugar (or burgers and fries). Oh no! Let it never be! But moderation is the key. I am still looking for a juicy peach pie recipe, and I'm planning to make chocolate chip cookies any day now.

1 comment:

  1. And this is what I read:

    blah, blah, blah . . . >>>PEACH PIE!!!<<< . . . blah, blah, blah . . .

    ReplyDelete