Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Making Some Treats

I'm still eating Greek yogurt in the morning, and feeling great! I also feel like baking again, which is something I haven't felt like doing in several years. I would do it, but it didn't feel like therapy like it had then. Sometimes it would just make me more stressed. But I miss the days when I would listen to The Snowman soundtrack year round and bake just for the heck of it, and not for any sort of specific craving.

I had bought this cookbook for Mom in 2010 for Mother's Day. She had specifically requested a cupcake recipe book. I know that the idea of baking is appealing to her, but the time and energy to do so isn't there, so she hasn't made any cupcakes yet. I'm pretty curious, though, to know what these cupcakes taste like. So, I've decided to go through the cookbook myself. There are different variations to many of the recipes, which is why it says "500" on the cover. I don't plan to do all of the variations, so there won't be 500 batches of cupcakes.


The first batch, Spanish Orange Syrup Cupcakes, taste like really sweet cornbread. Dad ate 1. I ate 2. Mom had a bite of one of mine, and Jon ate 3. No complaints, and Dad especially likes it because it isn't so sweet and rich that you feel weighed down after you eat one. 



An another note, a package arrived yesterday for Dad. It contained many bags of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures. Jon and I were standing nearby shaking our heads with mild disapproval. We did, however, happily catch the bag that Dad tossed each of us. The sofa cushion beside me contains many wrappers.

All in all, it was a good day. Cupcakes were made, Jon and I watched baby Micah this afternoon, and I started my college application for the school I'm transferring to in the fall. Looking forward to tomorrow, although I have been helping Mom with Micah tonight, who woke about an hour ago. He usually sleeps through the night, but his growing body seems to be shifting his little schedule around. Poor little guy. So, I don't know when tomorrow will start for me, but I think it's going to be good. 

2 comments:

  1. thought I heard something about 2 in the morning that sounded like that baby. Good job helping. And the cupcakes? Save me one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, cupcakes. x] I hope I'm included in this baking project at some point. :d

    ReplyDelete