Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shine. Make them wonder what you got.

It may be safe to say that I had not understood the concert experience until I saw Newsboys and Switchfoot perform at the end of Celebrate Freedom 2011 last night.

Due to a very stressful week at work, during which I got in trouble for not doing things that I did not know I was supposed to be doing or did not understand, I kept having flashbacks of the conversations one of my managers had with me. They kept coming all during the day, as I'm trying to celebrate freedom, and it was a nuisance that left me feeling more stressed than I had felt at the time I was being lectured.

And it wasn't even that the lectures were mean. It's just that I had not known what I was supposed to be doing, and when I found out, it just seemed like I should have already known. Common sense just had not struck me, or I have been distracted by school. I guess I was realizing yesterday that there is much more to living than I had thought. I can't just be a student. I must also be a sales associate. I can't flail through life with my head just above water. I have to walk on it.

So, I thought, I need to pull it together. But...can I pull it together?

Then the Newsboys and Switchfoot performed, and the songs they were singing, especially Switchfoot's, were all about daring to keep moving forward, shining your light, despite all of the persecution and fight that meets you along the way. Why? Because Jesus is the ruling force on this earth, even if we don't always see it. That is the Truth.

And if I'm going to walk on water, the only way to do it is to look at the Truth, hold it's gaze, never wavering. It must always be directly in front of me, and I must always be seeing it.

So away I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment